Saturday 26 February 2011

Naughty & nice




Back to uni on Monday! I decided to bake something that would keep for most of the week so I would have a treat to add to my lunches. Of course, since I was already baking, I had to make enough to share with my family. And whilst I wanted to make something sweet yet slightly healthy, I knew not everyone in the house would appreciate my tastes. 

Cookies were my baked good of choice. I simply made up my basic cookie dough, then divided the mixture in half


One half with plain old choc chips.


And one with sultanas, dates and oats


The choc chip ones came out absolutely perfect


I made the fruit and oat ones a little on the small side. Oh well, I suppose they're just portion controlled

The recipe for the cookie dough is seriously delicious, the perfect combination of chewiness and crispiness, and you get heaps of cookies from it. I'm sure the dough would freeze well if you're not comfortable making such a large quantity all at once. I wouldn't worry though, they won't last long.

Café style cookies
Makes 64 cookies

Basic cookie dough
250 g butter softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
190 ml condensed milk (approximately half a normal can)
2 1/4 cups self raising flour
pinch of baking powder

Add-ins
250g dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup oats
1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup raisins
shredded coconut, optional

  1. Beat the butter and sugar together till light & creamy. Beat in condensed milk, on high speed for 2 minutes.
  2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add flour into butter mixture in 3 parts, beating on low speed till just combined
  3. Divide the mixture in half. In one half, mix in the chocolate chips, in the other half, add oats, dates and raisins. Mix till add-ins are evenly distributed through the dough
  4. Refrigerate dough for half an hour. 
  5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line two baking trays. Roll cookie dough into 2 cm diameter balls, spacing roughly 2 cm apart. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of fruit & oat cookie dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or till just slightly brown on the edges.
  6. Cool for 5 minutes on tray, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe is a modification of this original recipe: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Cafe-Choc-Chip-Cookies-L2067.html

You could probably add just about anything you like to the basic dough recipe. Next time I think I'll try white chocolate, craisins and macadamias.




No comments:

Post a Comment