Monday 14 March 2011

Pour mes amis



A few friends had there graduation this weekend. It was also my friend Bertrand's birthday, so I decided to make his favourite pastry to share - chocolate éclairs. I had never made choux pastry before, and it was suprisingly easier than I expected. I wasn't exactly happy with the custard cream recipe, so I won't post that till I find one I like.



Choux pastry
1 cup water
100g butter
1 cup plain flour
3 eggs


  1. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat butter and water over medium-low heat, till butter is melted and combined with water.
  3. Add in flour and stir vigourously, still ingredients come together to form a thick dough (this should happen fairly quickly if the heat is right)
  4. Remove from heat. If dough is hot, allow to cool for about 5 minutes, till warm to touch. Add in eggs one at a time, stirring rigourously after each addition.
  5. Transfer dough to a piping bag with a plain tip nozzle (I used 2 cm, but I only made fairly small éclairs). Pipe out short lines for small éclairs, or balls for profiteroles.
  6. Sprinkle a small amount of water onto baking paper, trying not to get drops on the actual pastry (the drops of water make the over more humid, meaning the pastry will puff up and become more airy). Place trays in oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 160 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes, or till golden coloured.
  7. Remove from over & allow to cool. Cut in half and fill with cream or custard cream & top with chocolate glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment